1. You might land a movie deal or an animated special like me! It all started with a tweet!
2. Your book might get noticed by a famous store like Pottery Barn Kids who wants to sell it!
Click here to see! I found out when Penguin Kids tagged me on Instagram! And this weekend I have to make a video for them!
3. Librarians and book reviewers want to tag you as they showcase your book. This happens to me mostly on Instagram.
4. You meet incredible people--writers, readers, bloggers, agents, editors, etc...
5. You find your tribe. (See #4) Those with common interests and passions will follow each other! For example, author Linda Sue Park put together Kibooka (Kids' Books by Korean Americans & Korean Diaspora) in which we knew of each other via social media.
6. You find ideas for books. The Ocean Calls started with a tweet. I love Twitter!
7. You might find your agent. (Again, like I said in #6, it all started with a tweet. I found my agent via Twitter.)
8. Your publisher wants to promote & tag you.
9. You can inspire others, and they will inspire you.
10. People care. As I've gone through the past few months having breast cancer surgery & radiation, many have reached out via social media offering encouragement, prayers, and thoughts.
So there you have it. My 10 reasons why writers should be on social media. And during the pandemic and when I lived overseas, being online with others has really helped with that missing social piece!
I'm thankful to God for all of you and for His blessings so far this year!
4/1/2021 03:49:07 pm
I completely agree! Social media is a great way to develop relationships and community.
4/2/2021 08:00:52 am
Wow, congratulations on #s 1 and 2, Tina. How exciting!
4/2/2021 01:00:49 pm
Congratulations, Tina, on all your successes! I'm thrilled for you on those exciting things mentioned in #1 and 2. You've been in my prayers with your cancer treatment. Wishing you a wonderful Easter celebrating our risen Lord!
5/23/2021 12:26:10 am
Social media marketing is a great way for businesses to market themselves. But it isn't easy. In this post, we are going to discuss how your social media strategy can go wrong and what you can do to fix it.
3/20/2022 11:25:33 pm
I very much appreciate it. Thank you for this excellent article. Keep posting!
10/7/2022 10:56:39 pm
I am a small writer as well. I have no account on social media for my art, and I would really like for the world to see my writings. This blog was really the good thing that I found today. I will definitely create an account and thank you so much for the insights! Keep sharing more such posts.
10/20/2022 05:24:45 am
Cannot agree more! As a writer, one can utilize social media platforms to establish relationships and friendships with your readers as well as with brand-new people who may be intrigued by your works and what you have to say.
Leave a Reply.
Tina M. Cho, children's author
I'm a children's author and freelance writer for the educational market. Welcome!